Monday, June 26, 2006

Preaching

Preaching is a tiring job. At this point in my maturity level, I seem to be good for one sermon a day. Yesterday the preacher at my church was not here and I had not preached recently so it was my turn as the youth minister. I am not trying to be a hot head or anything, but my morning sermon was really good and I had many comments on it. But afterwards, my mind felt blown. I was emotionally spent. I tried to get ready for the evening sermon and my mind was gone. My evening sermon was not good. ANd when I think back to it, probably the main reason is that it was not bathed in prayer as my morning sermon had been. I was also not very prepared for it. So my conclusion is this: From now on, only agree to one sermon a week so that there is time to prepare and pray for it. More than that with all of my other responsibilities is too much and it robs the congregation of what they could hear from someone else. Maybe there will come a day when I am able to handle more, but today is not it.

3 comments:

Blakewell said...

Josh! Yo dude! You are always leaving good comments on my blog and I never return the favor. How are you and Jen doing? I miss you guys! I had hoped to see you for Celia's surprise birthday party - Brent said you were thinking about coming in.

Well I hate for this to be one of those comment catch-up type things, but so it is. I would love to hear you preach sometime. Perhaps Peter, Travis and I need to have a good ole Outreach style encouragement Sunday sometime when you preach. That would be cool.

Anyways, keep up the good work. I'm sure you and Jen are doing great things!

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Preaching can be exhausting this is true. But it can also be one of the most rewarding things ever.

Bathing your sermon text in prayer, asking the Spirit for insight, asking for it to be crucified to your own heart is absolutely necessary. Doing your exegetical homework on the text is necessary. Then praying for God to pour out his "gift of preaching" is necessary I have found too. I have also learned that the "gift of preaching" has nothing to do with being like Jeff Walling or Mike Cope either . . . it took a while to learn that though.

Josh I learned of your blog through your post on my Stoned-Campbell Disciple Blog. I am glad I found you. I will be back. I pray that you will come back my way too.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
Milwaukee, WI

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Just checking in . . . hi.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine