Sunday, September 25, 2005

Great Intentions

I have great intentions but sometimes they don't work out. There are so many things that I have planned on and still plan on doing. I planned on learning guitar and becoming good enough to bring it to a camp out and play camp songs and get people to sing along by the fire. I plan on staying in shape so that whenever I do get a chance to climb a mountain or go snowboarding I can enjoy it. I planned on finishing undergraduate school. I planned/plan on being a minister of the Gospel of Christ. Most of those things I have done and still plan on doing. But one thing lately that has not gone as planned is my graduate school experience.
You saw my frustration last week in my previous post. Well, I worked so hard on trying to get all of that stuff done. I was in my office close to 9 hours a day, (starting at 7 and ending around 6 with a two hour break for lunch and some exercise) studying for my test, reading, putting youth classes together and working on an essay. I have spent nearly 15 hours working on graduate work this week and my work is barely half-way done. I thought maybe I could just do it if I made a plan and stuck to it. But it just didn't work. Great intentions. Maybe I am just a slow reader, or maybe I don't understand as quickly as others. Maybe I need more sleep than others. Or maybe I am not cut out for graduate work. I don't know. All I do know is that I am not going to quit. I may have to drop one of my two classes this semester and go at a slower pace, but I will not quit. I have quit in the past but I no longer want that to be part of my personality.

1 comment:

Blakewell said...

Seems as if you need a real comment on here! Continue in your perseverance buddy! And dropping a class, if it keeps you in the program, is certainly a worthwhile route!

You will do fine, and graduate school is supposed to be tough without a job, so having a full-time job on top of your studies is commendable. Good luck!