Sunday, May 28, 2006

Pascagoula MS


Mission trips seem to have a way of changing your outlook on life a little. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was planning on taking my youth group down to Pascagoula, MS which was hit by Hurricane Katrina. When I looked around and saw the devestation that these people had lived with it made me realize that I have it relatively easy. I also look at the Central Church of Christ which is bringing relief to all the people down there. Their volunteers work tirelessly. In my opinion the guy who is in the leadership position, David, has been endowed with special strength from God. He told me that last month he decided to start taking one day off a month. What, are you kidding me? I am worried about my 1 and a half days off every week and after 8 months of 12 to 14 hour days, he finally decided to take a day off?

I look at the huge effort that is made by all these groups coming into MS and New Orleans to bring relief to the suffering. Are people who don't know Christ not in a similar plight? They are facing eternal death! This is a disaster of catastrophic proportions and we sit in our living room and watch TV so that we can watch our favorite show, or (in my case) try to go fishing once a week, or golf, etc. Lord, forgive us for our selfish lifestyles in the U.S.

I started a journal the first night and kept it until the second night. AFter that, I was too pooped out to pick up a pen when I got back to where we were staying. I will put some of those entries in future posts.

1 comment:

JD said...

YES! David Kilbern is an awesome servant. I am in awe of him. Sorry I didn't get to meet you while you were here. Thank you for your love for strangers that brought you to the Coast.